Book Buying Binge!

Thursday, November 15, 2012
I went a little nuts in Barnes and Noble today. I had to return a novel I bough that I already own (this is what happens when people rush me in a bookstore!), and so, $12 in hand, I proceeded to buy five more. And then, my lovely boyfriend, bought me a sixth book I really wanted but had put back on the shelf, in the interest of saving some money for, y'know, food for the next few days. I had to promise this was my last spree for 2012, so here are my purchases!

Two of the books I got,I had already read as ARCs, and wanted finished copies for my library. Those two are:

Speechless by Hannah Harrington



Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.


I love love love this book --- and this cover. It's gorgeous, and Hannah Harrington grabbed me with this in a way her first novel, Saving June, failed to do.  

and

Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts - Dark Inside #1


 

Since the beginning of mankind, civilizations have fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs...and now us. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening: An ancient evil has been unleashed, and it's turning everyday people into hunters, killers, and crazies. This is the world Mason, Aries, Clementine, and Michael are living in--or rather, trying to survive. Each is fleeing unspeakable horror, from murderous chaos to brutal natural disasters, and each is traveling the same road in a world gone mad. 

Amid the throes of the apocalypse and clinging to love and meaning wherever it can be found, these four teens are on a journey into the heart of darkness--and to find each other and a place of safety.





I read this back in 2011 as an ARC from Simon&Schuster, and I've been on the lookout for a copy since then. Creepy, fun, and my first real "zombie"-ish novel, I had a great time with this suspenseful novel. Now I just need a paperback edition of Rage Within to come out!

Totally new books:


It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere.


Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

Again, another novel I have heard such good things about. Tackling such a difficult subject matter, I am interested to see how Christopher executes her novel.  

 



On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings—and to catch their wives.

The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment.

Margo Lanagan weaves an extraordinary tale of desire, despair, and transformation. With devastatingly beautiful prose, she reveals characters capable of unspeakable cruelty, but also unspoken love.


Margo Lanagan has quite the following and a lot of hype. I have Tender Morsels waiting to be read, but the reviews for this one made it impossible for me not to pick up.



Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .
Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.

With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.
I love this cover - and I love the idea for this story. Peter Pan before Wendy? And I've always thought Tiger Lily deserved more time and attention than either the book or movies have given her. Countless good reviews combined with all that to make me want this one very very much.


Living in the aftermath of the Event means that seeing the dead is now a part of life, but Veronica wishes that the ghosts would just move on. Instead, the ghosts aren’t disappearing—they’re gaining power.

When Veronica and her friend, Kirk, decide to investigate why, they stumble upon a more sinister plot than they ever could have imagined. One of Veronica’s high school teachers is crippled by the fact that his dead daughter has never returned as a ghost, and he’s haunted by the possibility that she’s waiting to reappear within a fresh body. Veronica seems like the perfect host. And even if he’s wrong, what’s the harm in creating one more ghost?

From critically acclaimed Generation Dead author Daniel Waters, comes a delectably creepy and suspenseful thriller. Break My Heart 1,000 Times will leave readers with the chills. Or is that a ghost reading over the page?

Oooh, this sounds creepy and inventive AND was just optioned for a film version.I'm interested in the movie, so clearly I had to read it first.  

I'm pretty excited for all of these - rereads and new buys! I just have to find time to read them all.....

4 comments:

  1. These are great choices! I really want to read Speechless, Stolen, and Tiger Lily! I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiger Lily is SO good. I loved it. Speechless is also amazing and I'm dying to read Stolen and Brides of Rollrock Island, so I can't wait to see what you think of them! :) Awesome haul, Jessie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGOD you have Tiger Lily, Speechless, Stolen, and The Brides of Rollrock Island. *squeals* They were all extraordinary. Fantastic haul, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great selection! I passed up an ARC of Speechless because I couldn't finish Saving June. Maybe I'll have to go back and rethink that decision. Stolen was one of my top picks in 2010--I listened to the audiobook and it was great. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into Brides of Rollrock, and I'd thought it sounded right up my alley. Hope you have better luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.