Top Ten Books For My Coblogger

Tuesday, September 5, 2017



Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday, where the prompts are made up and the schedule doesn't matter! Jessie came up with this idea while Jamie was on hiatus, but frankly I think all coblogging teams should do this one. Because now I have five birthday/Christmases sorted.



1. The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen

Why won't you let me love you, Jessie? This book is amazing. Jamie McKelvie's art will blow your mind. You're going to love Lucifer as David Bowie and Sekhmet as Rihanna. You love mythology and mythological retellings and sassy teen girls in London. Plus there's a spinoff set in 455 about the second sacking of Rome. We love Rome.

2. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

This is the book of my heart. It's weird and funny and relatable and I think it's must read for anyone with or who loves someone with mental illness and I want Jenny to be our best friend so you should read this to be prepared when I build some sort of Ohio/Arizona/Texas teleportation system.

3. Saga by Brian K. Vaughan

Best graphic novel. Best sci-fi series. Best space opera. Ever. Including movies. Yes. Don't @ me.

A sweeping love story of two soldiers on the opposite side of an intergalactic war and their efforts to find peace and freedom to raise their child. And the entire plot turns on a supermarket romance novel.

Plus there are robots with TV heads, a cat that can tell if you're lying, and the main character breastfeeding like a boss right on the front cover.(And a fuck ton of frank, realistic depictions of mental illness, PTSD, drug dependency, racism, jingoism, sexism, so many isms.)

4. Written in Red by Anne Bishop

I want you to read this, but I'm also nervous because Rohini from wotmania just read it and voted it the worst series she's read this year and she's much smarter than me. But I think this is such an interesting take on the standard supernatural creature UF and I like Meg so much.

5. Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

I NEED to talk about this book with you. What happens to Susan when she's too old to return to Narnia? How did Alice cope after Wonderland? (She didn't, see Looking-Glass.) It's such an interesting premise and then, in typical Seanan fashion, she puts a bunch of teenagers with tenuous grasps on reality into a murder mystery. Did you guess the killer???

BONUS:
Why is she biting his cheek?????????????????
6. Anne & Henry by Dawn Ius

Misery loves company.






1. Skullsworn by Brian Staveley

Yes I am also already making you finish his original fantasy series - but I am perpetually bemoaning you about the awesomeness of those particular books; let's switch it up a bit this time. Instead, let me tell you this standalone: it stars a deadly, irreverent assassin who must kill 10 people in 10 days. So she incites a rebellion in a simmering city. It's magnificent and Pyrre is a perfect Dani character. I mean... there is murder by spider.

2. The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera (Their Bright Ascendancy #1)




The queer fantasy book of your dreams! I know how much you look for rep in our favorite genre and... don't often find a mirror. I know that while one book can't fix that problem or erase it, reading this lush fantasy centered on two utterly badass (in different ways!) badass nonhet ladies will hopefully make you smile. And also cry, because I'm me and this book also hurts. I know you're tired of "[usually male noun]'s daughter" titles but don't worry -- that's not what this title references.

3. The Long Way to A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (Wayfarers #1)





I'm half way there with you on this book -- I've gotten you to buy it at least. I just need to get you to put eyeballs on paper and READ IT. If I tell you it's all about gays in space and new cultures and creatures and ALIENS and SPAAAACE -- will that help? There are big ships and tiny ships (both the space and relation variety) and so many fun, memorable characters.

4. Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge (Bright Smoke #1)




Yes most of the blogging world and our friends hated or DNF'd it. But I loved it and I also know how much you love Hodge's writing and imagination. It's by far the most I have ever liked the story of Romeo and Juliet -- they were teens who knew each other for days before dying IT'S NOT A REAL ROMANCE -- so maybe it's the inclusion of the zombies? Maybe it's the stone-cold badass that is the Juliet, full of life and passion and agency? Or maybe it's Romeo and Paris, the unlikeliest of detective duos, acting like CSI investigators with a psychic mind link? Maybe it's Hodge's unique and creative worldbuilding? Or maybe it's all the gay headcanons this book seems to beg for. I dunno. I just really, really dug this. I think you would, too.

5. Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust






We both love a good fantasy/fairy tale retelling. We are both pretty stridently and unapologetically feminist persons. This is the kind of story tailor-made for us. There are rich characters, creative interpretations of a familiar story, and villains that are complexly-drawn rather than just being simply eeevil or, say, hating a stepdaughter just for existing. It's fun and clever and original.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.