Danielle's September Reads and Book Hauls

Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Oh September. You are not the book blogger's favorite month. I, luckily, only had five September ARCs, compared to some of my friends who had a score, but by the time I got through all my "required" books, I hit a pretty major slump. The good news is, I found a book to pull me right back out! The bad news? It's The Way of the Kings and I didn't finish its 1,005 pages, so I only have seven books on my read list this month.

In other, better news, I was featured over at Beauty and the Bookshelf's Be Our Tattooed Guest, showing off my Ray Bradbury ink.

Read:

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After by Julia Quinn - 4 Stars (Review)
If I Stay by Gayle Forman - 5 Stars
Firebug by Lish McBride - 3.5 Stars (Review)
Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander - 1 Star (Review)
Jingo by Terry Pratchett - 4 Stars
The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas - 4 Stars
The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul by Grant Morrison - 5 Stars


As for books bought, I had two hauls. Early in the month I bought What If?, The Girl With All the Gifts, and The Secret Garden at B&N.

Toothless is just for Meg.
I also had a super fun date with my husband to my favorite ice cream shop and used book store, where I picked up a new copy of Alloy of Law, An Offer From a Gentleman, Ten Things I Love About You, Naked Heat, and a collection of Poirot novels. I also bought Where She Went after I finished and LOVED If I Stay.

Wouldn't you know, the ice cream shop is next to the comic store?!

On the ARC front, I was approved for five that I'm super hyped for. Keep an eye out for reviews in the coming months! Princess of Thorns has been on my radar since last fall, so I'm over the moon.

Not pictured:  I'm Not a Terrorist, But I've Played One on TV by Maz Jobrani

That'll do me for this month, what did you read?



6 comments:

  1. I didn't read a whole lot, I've really slowed down lately which bums me out :( Waking up early with my dog makes me fall asleep by 9 or 10 at night haha.

    BUT I finished The Mark of Cain by Lindsay Barraclough (LOVE- perfect Halloween read btw), Heir of Fire (sooo much love!), and Maid of Deception (just posted my review today, it was really good!). I also allowed myself to reread The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves. SO worth it. Usually I have too much TBR guilt.

    Otherwise, quiet month! I did drive to Pasadena with my husband to go to the One Direction concert hehe. It was really really fun! Plus we stayed at a fancy hotel, which is always fun. And I got to go to Sarah J. Maas' signing at BN Glendale and she RECOGNIZED MY NAME FROM TWITTER. I almost died. So so cool and she is so very funny. And I got to meet Gillian! Yay bookish twitter friends!

    Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Princess of Thorns and The Oathbreaker's Shadow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an AMAZING month! I've never been to an author event, but I would die if one recognized me. I just started the Throne of Glass series, (as you saw,) and I'm in love. I can't wait to get some reviews caught up so I can read book 1.

      Delete
  2. I seem to be in a reading slump, too! I overcommitted to reviews and am having trouble squeezing in 'just because' reads. Kind of takes the fun out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my problem. It wouldn't be so bad if the review books had lit my world on fire, but I haven't had anything over a 3 since 8/27.

      I'm trying to remember that DNFing isn't bad and if I end up having to skip a review book, the world won't implode.

      Delete
  3. Love your tattoo! What a wonderful story. :) I've read very little Ray Bradbury... I really need to fix that. My coblogger keeps telling me to read The Martin Chronicles.
    I can't wait to see what you think of The Girl With All the Gifts! Hope it's enjoyable, it was one of my favorites this year. That is a gorgeous copy of The Secret Garden!

    Bonnie @ For the Love of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie! I love my tattoo a lot, though all those layers and layers of blue HURT. You should absolutely read The Martian Chronicles, though a few stories, (The Silent Towns specifically) seem really cliched at this point because the plots have become sci-fi standards. The Million-Year Picnic, the last story, is one of my favorites. (Sorry, I get too excited to talk Bradbury.)

      I read and reviewed TGWAtG as an ARC, but I just had to buy a copy for my shelves. Probably my favorite of the year too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.