DNF Round Up for January

Tuesday, January 28, 2014


 


Defy by Sara B. Larson - Defy #1 - ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley

DNF'd at: 53%

Why?
Boring and offensive in equal measures. Love triangle bullshit. Main character is a Super Special Soldier who will save the world. Predictable plotting. Uncomfortable descriptions of anyone non-white. A lot of white people running around in a jungle.



White Space by Ilsa J. Bick - Dark Passages #1 - ARC provided by publisher via edelweiss

DNF'd at: 6%

Why? 
No quotation marks for identifying speech from thoughts/internal monologue. Extremely jumbled and confusing beginning. Too much information presented rapidly with little regard to helping the reader understand what anything actually means. Overwhelming and not in a good way.


I may try again later with a physical copy but the first 35 pages of this were a big

 photo tumblr_mw2kvfnwPS1rlvbaro1_400_zpsb4b21a7d.gif






Pretenders by Lisi Harrison - Pretenders #1 - ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley

DNF'd at: 32%

Why?
Utterly laughable and ridiculous. The narration style is jarring and doesn't work. The entire cast of characters are wildly inconsistent or totally unbelievable. I had heard the ending was a total cop-out so I checked that, too. It is. It's a nonending.

5 comments:

  1. I DNFed White Space at 7%...was SO confusing. I like being a little lost sometimes but this one made my head spin and not in a good way. I agree about the physical copy...maybe they will change it before final print?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Defy has officially scared me. I refuse to so much as even think about picking it up. It sounds absolutely horrible! There aren't any quotations in White Space? O-O Oh know! I'll picking it up soon hopefully. That cover for The Pretenders is utterly laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like no one is making it very far into White Space. I made it a few pages before I had to give up. I think it sounds so interesting, it's a shame the beginning is such a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me feel so much better about DNFing Defy and R is for Rebel. At least everything I've read has quotation marks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh I DNF'd White Space too. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to not like that one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.