Best Early Valentine's Day Book(ish) Haul. Ever.

Thursday, February 13, 2014
So there aren't too many books to be had in this haul but the way I got four of them is pretty cool and should be told. Stay tuned for that later in the show, kids.


First up: Books I bought myself.




Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter -- it was cheap, Kara liked it, and I like the cover. Nuff said.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton -- I hate this cover but.... I've never read this, guys. Don't shun me. I plan to. Someday. I took the first step towards possibly reading it one day.



Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge and Cress by Marissa Meyer -- finished copies of ARCs that I loved. Both are in my Best of 2014 lists already. Plus, these covers/books are so lovely in person.


See?!


From Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours:




Dominion by C. J. Sansom -- another I don't know a lot about but alternate history with Nazis? Yes please. However, this thing is a BRICK. If you don't hear from me, it's because I took this and The Kiss of Deception out in the same purse and they fell on me and killed me.

From the awesome people at MacMillan Teen:



Something Real by Heather Demetrios - Ksenia was lovely enough and generous to send this to me right before it was pubbed because I am a doof and didn't request it. As you will see later, I loved it so much I bought a hardcover.

Hungry by H.A Swain -- I am leery of this one (Thalia Apple. In a book about hunger.) but I knew I had to read this one for myself.







The Island of Excess Love by Francesca Lia Block -- I am not too sure if this is a sequel or a companion to Love in the time of Global Warming but I am sure I can't wait to read this.

From Macmillan and from Pyr:


 I have no idea why the picture is so dark? And am too lazy to take another.


The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson -- this thing is HUGE. I was surprised by its general heft. But it sounds interesting so here's hoping I love it.

Earth Girl by Janet Edwards -- I had bought a copy of this but it was so damaged on the inside I had to return it. THEN a publicist got in touch with me and sent me a copy for review (basically because Christina from Reader of Fictions is the best.)

Won on twitter from Paper Lantern Lit:



Venom and Belladonna by Fiona Paul. These had been on my radar for a while but I had never felt the urgent need to own them. But I won a twitter contest and they sent me these gorgeous Aussie editions (aka the best edition). They are seriously gorgeous.



Pretty spines!




and pretty drawings in the margins!

And here is where the "best book haul ever" part comes into play. Last Friday (aka the 7th), at work, my boyfriends sent me flowers, for no reason.




When he picked me up a few hours later, he VOLUNTARILY took me to a bookstore to buy me four books.

I had a hard time picking out my free books -- new releases! Hardcovers! Special and/or signed editions! Whatever I wanted!




My first three were easy picks, though. I knew I wanted Sharon Biggs Waller's A Mad, Wicked Folly as soon as he mentioned "bookstore".

I knew I wanted finished copies of Something Real and for Pawn. But then I got stuck, deciding on a final book. Ryan, the boyfriend, called me over to see the new Harry Potter covers displayed (even though I own them.). I, because I am a forever HP fan, ran over.

And this happened.






Ignore my beat-up hands. Look at the sparkly pretty thing.


In the middle of a bookstore. With a book for the ring's box. It was perfect and lovely and of course I snagged my fourth book once I had said yes and then could stop shaking.



At that point, I just grabbed the closest book with a cover I recognized and that was Antigoddess by Kendare Blake.

He did pretty good, though. I'm very happy, very lucky, and enjoying the fact I have a fiancé (eeep) who knows me so very well. I am pretty sure I will long remember this as the best book haul ever.



He even matched the ribbon on the flowers to the ring. I mean, c'mon, he gets points for that, too.

His best friend and my close friend (who is also our roommate) was there to take pictures.








Happy Valentine's Day!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. ME TOO. ALSO COUNTDOWN IS LESS THAN THREE MOOOOONTHS

      Delete
  2. AWWWWWW FEEEELS CUUUTENESSS EXCELLENT BOOKS GORGEOUS RING HAPPY JESSIE YAYYYYYYY! *tosses confetti*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the absolute Gilly-ness of this response.

      Thanks, girl!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! That's such a great engagement story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you will remember Antigoddess forever as the book you picked up after you got engaged. CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO SO SO CUTE. Congratulations!! The ribbon, the flowers, the books. He knows you well and planned that OUT. SO CUTE.

    Also, what Kara said ^. I hope Antigoddess turns out well ;). It'll have lots of extra history.

    The Australian editions of Fiona Paul's books are really gorgeous. The definition of the prettily dressed girl covers.

    And Harry Potter. So, so cute. Okay, I will stop now. Hope you two have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sniff* So freaking cute. Best book haul ever. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the most romantic thing ever.

    It kind of made my day, okay?

    And no, I totally did not go all teary and gross at the end.

    (I'm totally lying. ;~;)

    Congratulations on your happiness!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you so much and I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! This IS the best book haul ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What a cute and wonderful story. I'm so happy that your friend had the foresight to snap those pictures for you. Your finance sounds awesome. So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww.....what a cute story! Congrats on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I am crying again!! This is so sweet! What a perfect way to pop the big one! I'm so so so happy for you! I can't wait to see all of the wedding stuff!

    Also, we're going to have to do a Cruel Beauty read along. It has been WAY too long since I did a read along with the girls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.