Christmas Bookhaul Part the First

Sunday, January 4, 2015
I didn't receive many books for Christmas from my family (LE GASP), but I did receive a lot of B&N and Visa gift cards (which were, of course, used for books). And then there was the Boxing Day BookOutlet sale which I will have to get to in another post because: carpal tunnel and uh.. the books aren't here yet. >____>

First up, things/books I was sent by lovely people:

From Ellis at Paper Riot(!)


Black Heart by Holly Black - Curseworkers #3. 

I have wanted this forever because CASSEL and that COVER and series ending and omg bring me the emotiooooons. Merci, Miss E. Je t'adore.


















Not a book but a lovely present and from one of the best people -- Lyn at Great Imaginations





It's no secret, especially if you follow me on twitter, how much I love HTTYD and HTTYD2. It might even be considered unhealthy. I get intense feelings about dragons and dragonlords, mmmk. But Lyn got me this gorgeous print to frame for my library and it is so happy-making I can't even. 





From Dani my lovely coblogger, I got an entire box of AWESOME. Not only Poisoned Apples (by Christine Heppermann -- which I have lusted after forever but couldn't commit to buying) and The Lover's Dictionary.. but HOMEMADE, DELICIOUS COOKIES (in an adorable mailbox container), cocoa, and a Ravenclaw scarf and PUPCAKES (aka she made treats for my dogs) and SHAKESPEAREAN INSULT MUG. Is this not a thing of beauty?


I've used it both for beverages and demoralizing my enemies.

From Lili:



An ARC for Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay, a very nice and lovely notebook (with a great quote from Jane Austen I'd never heard before) and..... CHOCOLATE. <3 <3

From Bekka at Great Imaginations:



The coolest reading journal! Another thing I have wanted for forever but wouldn't buy myself because I'm weird. It's so much fun to go through and explore this and also catalog your own reads and ratings.... yeah yeah nerdery. Basically, it is the coolest.

From my roommate:


Croak, Scorch, and Rogue by Gina Damico (Croak #1-3) and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz.

I'd already read Croak as an ARC a few years back so I thought I knew what I was in for with Damico's series. I WAS WRONG. So wrong. So painfully wrong and my headcanon CANNOT with the end of Rogue


Thank you, thank you ladies and gent. I <3 you all.


And now the books I bought with all my gift card monies:





Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan - Maids of Honor #1.

I love a good historical fiction -- YA or adult -- and this has gotten some pretty rave reviews.

The Martian by Andy Weir.

I picked this up on Lyn's rec and I AM SO GLAD. This is such good scifi. It's also a great mix of Castaway and MacGyver with a likeable, funny, cheeky main character. Bit technical but HEARTILY RECOMMEND.





Dawn's Early Light by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris - Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences #3.

This is such a madcap, fun steampunk/mystery series. I've thoroughly enjoyed every jaunt with Books and Braun and can't wait to do it again.

The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson.

This is a short story I already owned on Kindle but it's Sanderson AND Cosmere so yeah, needed a physical copy.

Jewels of the Sun and Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts - Gallaghers of Ardmore #1 and #2. I loved this series as a preteen and am rereading them for Bookish Bingo. So exciiiiiiited.

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows - Newsoul #1. I had kinda written this series off but then Renae of Respiring Reads read it and loooooved it. Renae is pretty discerning so a high rating from her speaks volumes.

Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes - Falling Kingdoms #3. I wasn't a huge fan of the fantasy-lite that was the series opener, but it was cheap and I am interested in seeing how it all plays out.






Firebird by Mercedes Lackey - Fairy Tales #1.

I'd read and loved this books sequel -- The Back Swan - years ago. I finally tracked this down and liked it (if not at the level of The Black Swan.) But yay for completing a series!












and laaast, the book I ordered-myself-while-on-so-much-cough-medicine-I-didn't-remember-doing-so- until-it-shipped:




Treasury of Fairy Tales. My sister and I had a copy as children that we mercilessly fought over until it lost both covers, the first few pages.... but I really loved this illustrated anthology. I'm pretty much okay with my cough-syrup-happy self for ordering it.

I still have cough20cough books coming from BookOutlet, but that's it for me this time. What did you pick up over Christmas?



4 comments:

  1. What lovely presents! Homemade cookies are the BEST and I know how much you love that dragon print :D Also I love that you bought yourself a childhood favorite anthology on cough medicine, that's grand. It looks really fun! there are a few fairy tale picture/pop up books that I wish I could find, I would totally buy them again. YAY Maid of Secrets! I loved that book and its sequel, I hope you do tooooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, there were three kinds of cookies and THEY WERE SO GOOD it was practically illegal.

      And yes! I couldn't remember who else loved MoS, but I;m glad to hear you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Did Ryan get any cookies this year? I'm so glad you liked the mug. I was a little, "will she think these are directed towards her?" but I do not desire that we should be better strangers. <3

    I need to get The Martian. Everyone's raving and it's so up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did. I graciously allowed him one honey coin and one gingerbread. The rest were allllll mine and gone disturbingly fast.

      I DO NOT DESIRE THIS EITHER.

      I think you would really, really like The Martian. And Mark.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.