Hamilton Book Tag

Monday, July 4, 2016
created by Maureen

Hello, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, Lin Manuel Miranda? No, no, please don't shut the door! It's only the most important, beautiful piece of theater in years and a record Tony award winner! Where are you all going?

I can't remember if Gillian tagged me or if I'm just a leach, but as today is Independence Day in the US, it seems appropriate that I'm tackling questions inspired by the Hamilton soundtrack.

The Room Where It Happens | Book world you would put yourself in
I want to be in the room where it happens, the room where it happens

It's a real shame Voldemort destroyed the records of the Muggleborns when I was 10 and totally due for my letter and I'm sure someone from the Magical Congress of the USA will be arriving any day to correct this error.

"Yer a wizard, Danielle" has a slightly less memorable flow to it, I do admit.

The Schuyler Sisters | Underrated Female Character
You want a revolution, I want a revelation – so listen to my declaration




My Shot | A character that goes after what they want and doesn’t let anything stop them
Hey yo, I’m just like my country I’m young, scrappy and hungry and I’m not throwing away my shot!

The fact that Cara from Alienated by Melissa Landers is ambitious and a little bit cut-throat is my favorite part of this novel. We hear a lot in YA about characters going after what they want, but we don't often get to see it, especially from a heroine. It's refreshing.

Stay Alive | A character you wish was still alive
Save your strength and stay alive…

Nehemia Ytger is not dead, she's just deep undercover, so there's no need for me to wish. Right?

RIGHT?!

Burn | The most heartbreaking end to a relationship you’ve ever read
The world has no right to my heart/the world has no place in our bed/they don’t get to know what I said

The tragedy of Finn and Cat from The Mad Scientist's Daugher is that he's an android, ageless and eternal, and Cat's already into middle age when they finally get together. You're left with the knowledge that they have a handful of years before her death and he'll be left mourning her forever more. So, you know, tissues out.

You’ll Be Back | Sassiest villain
’cause when push comes to shove/ I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love

The Darkling - The Grisha Series

The Reynolds Pamphlet | A book with a twist that you didn’t see coming
You could never be satisfied/God, I hope you’re satisfied

You. Monsters.

Non-stop | A series you marathoned
Why do you write like you’re running out of time? Write day and night like you’re running out of time?

The audio version of the Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews, until my library stopped carrying them at book six! Which, I'm pretty sure, is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Satisfied | Favorite book with multiple POVs
You strike me as a woman who has never been satisfied
I’m sure I don’t know what you mean. You forget yourself
You’re like me. I’m never satisfied

Every character in Six of Crows is my special baby who does not deserve the horrors they face and I will hear nothing else. The multiple POVs work because each character is distinct with an individual voice and reasons and motivations that work perfectly within and without the group. 

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story | A book/series you feel like will be remembered throughout history
But when you’re gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame?

Is there another answer possible besides Harry Potter?

Helpless | A relationship you were pulling for from the very start
Look into your eyes and the sky’s the limit/I’m helpless

Nyx and Ignifex from Cruel Beauty. I never swayed. I was not tempted by the love triangle. From word go, I only had eyes for the Gentle Lord and the girl raised to kill him.

I feel like my therapist should never read that sentence?

Ten Duel Commandments | Favorite fight scene
Time to get some pistols and the doctor on site

The Trial By Seven from The Hedge Knight, though to be more accurate, it's my favorite fight aftermath.
And by favorite, I mean the one that made me vomit.

Say No To This | Guilty pleasure read
Lord, show me how to say no to this, I don’t know how to say no to this

The Selection Series by Keira Cass. I hate these books. The world building is ridiculous. The romances are tepid. The action is telegraphed and bland. And yet, I've read every one. Publish another. Publish five. Publish a thousand Cass, I'll keep buying. 

What Comes Next | A series you wish had more books
You’re on your own. Awesome! Wow! Do you have a clue what happens now?

Come on Jo, do the thing. Come on Jo, be so smart.

Right Hand Man | Favorite BROTP
Here comes the General and his right hand man

To the shame of my husband, coblogger, and fantasy community, I didn't like Discworld. "Don't start at the beginning", fans would say. "Start with Guards Guards!/Equal Rites/Mort!" So, determined to be the good fantasy fan, I started with Guards Guards!. And promptly DNFd it before the end of the secret society meeting. But I prefer my fantasy female led. Equal Rites - 1.5 stars. Hogfather? Eh. Going Postal? Actually, love! Shame this is high school Dani and Making Money hasn't been published yet. So I gave up and became content to be known as the blogger who hates fun and joy and Terry Pratchett. 

But then ten years later, I decided to hell with it. I will start at the beginning. And there I met my ultimate BROTP, (and frankly OTP, why do you think RW stopped staring in books? Because he goes back to the Agatean Empire for his one true love, Twoflower.) The insurance salesman tourist. The inept wizzard. The luggage. The round the world travels of an eternal optimist and a realist coward. Perfection.

What’d I Miss | A book or series you were late to reading
I’ve been in Paris meeting lots of different ladies…I guess I basically missed the late eighties

Throne of Glass is one of my favorite books and the start of my favorite series. So why then, did I not read book one until four months before book four?

I don't even have money to blame for this one. Jess bought me ToG for my birthday in 2013. But I have such a big TBR. And then everyone said I should wait for the prequel novellas to be collected. And then I was scared of the hype monster. I'm a disaster. It is known.

Wait For It | A book that was worth waiting for

And if there’s a reason I’m still alive
When so many have died
Then I’m willin’ to—Wait for it…


The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. This was a hard one to wait for because the series is so awesome and packed with twists and cliffhangers. After a five year break between books due to Lynch's well publicized health issues, I found book three to exceed my expectations and Red Seas in every way. It's not the longest I've waited for a sequel *coughGeorgecough* but it might be the one that lived up to the hype the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.