Jessie's Late August Books

Friday, September 4, 2015
So August was a big and busy month for me. I managed to post a little and read a lot despite/because of all I had going on. I got married and went on a roadtrip honeymoon. I met Danielle, my coblogger and partner in crime in real life. We hung out. We hugged. It was glorious and honestly one of the best months of my life.

I also dealt with stress -- how else? -- by buying way too many books:





Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones (Illusive #1) - I have a few friends who rave and call this a hidden gem. I'm game to try anything that sounds this fun.
Resonance by Erica O'Rourke (Dissonance #2) - I really enjoyed this series first book and hoe book two is just as creative and memorable.
The House of the Four Winds by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory (One Dozen Daughters #1) - Danielle's review and the synopsis made this hard to resist.



UK edition of Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor - I got Dani and myself a matching set :D This is one of my favorite series and the UK covers are just so insanely gorgeous.





Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick. I've only been one for two with this author but he is so creative and original I had to try this.
The Silver Bough by Lisa Tuttle. This was a total impulse buy because I recognized the author's name (she's worked with GRRM), it was on sale, and set in Scotland.




The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #2)
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #3) - I had owned both of these on Nook but loved the new paperbacks.
This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (Starbound #2) I have an ARC of this from BEA 14 but needed the hardcover for my collection and to reread before Their Fractured Light!
Zoe Washburne!!! Funko!




An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir  - another finished copy for an ARC I already owned.




Like No Other by Una LaMarche - I pikced this up because it features a Jewish protagonist and I've not read nearly enough of that. Plus Dahlia recc'd it! Plus interracial romance!





Hans Christian Andersen's Best Loved Fairy Tales - basically I bought this anthology because I am a sucker for fairytale collections and that cover.
Tales from the Arabian Nights - see above but with "1001 Nights."





Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray (Diviners #2) - THE WAIT IS OVER IT'S HERE GO READ OMG YAAAAY
The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick - I love Fitzparick's contemporaries.  So.Good.
Slasher Girls & Monster Boys by various awesome authors - this is such a great anthology if you love horror or creepy writing o clever authors.


Ravencliffe by Carol Goodman (Blythewood #2) - I loved the first in the series so I had to have this. Creepy, gothic, atmospheric and detailed. All things I love in a YA supernatural series.




The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham (The Dagger and the Coin #3)
The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham (The Dagger and the Coin #4)  this fantasy series is so different from the norm. It takes tropes and spins them, creates interesting plotlines (with BANKING?), uses diverse POVs (older women, bankers, teen girls) and has also featured zero rape.



Air Awakens by Elise Kova - A fantasy with a great cover and intriguing synopsis. Best yet -- this was only $3.99 for kindle and I could not resist!

ARCs:



The Lake House by Kate Morton! Kate Morton is a favorite author and I have been anticipating this novel for years. Her books are so intricately plotted and creative. A bunch of friends and I are on twitter talking about it under #KMflails.



Can you say "Harper drop"?

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter - I had not thought about this twice and then reviews came in and I became intrigued.
A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann - I was lured in by the cover, tagline, and synopsis. I don't know too much else but it sounds creepy and interesting.
Sword and Verse by Kathy Macmillan - YA fantasy! Yes! It does seem a biiiiit romance-heavy but I'm going to give it a shot.
Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern - I have yet to read any of McGovern's other books but this looks like a cute middle grade story.
The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine (Ravenspire #1) - how fantastic does this sound? I wasn't the biggest fan of her first series but this fantasy fairy tale sounds so irresistible.
Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers - so titles with words like "Assassin" are impossible for me to not want to read.
Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace - Another I don't know too much about but this seems like a zombie novel that is different from most other zombie novels.
The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos - this sounds dark and creepy and unsettling. Not too much buzz yet but I am intrigued.
Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan - so far this seems like a fantasy standalone and I am here for it. Especially with that synopsis and title.
Dreamology by Lucy Keating - I love books about dreams. Lucid was a good one and this seems similar but maybe more thought-out.
The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (The Girl From Everywhere #1) - timetraveling pirates ad girl MCs?




Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima (Shattered Realms #1) - So the premise and title of this series are not okay with me but then again it's a new CWC fantasy!
The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins - my first Higgins and it sounds dark and dangerous. The tagline is pretty good but I am not a fan of "winning" a person.
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro - I am getting suckered into these Sherlock retellings! This one sounds particularly entertaining.
Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie (Burning Glass #1) - this sounds intriguing but I am honestly the most curious about what is on the cover?
Marked by Sarah Fine (Servants of Fate #1) - Sarah Fine is such a talented and imaginative writer. I jumped at the chance to start another of her series.

Bought: Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare (Castle Ever After #1) - this was recc'd by a few people on twitter and I need a good romance author besides Julia Quinn.


Fun stuff:



Harry Potter and Ron Funkos! (I'm now in search of Hermione, Brienne, Astrid, Hiccup, dragons, and direwolves!)




A new library stamp from Etsy with my new name!


Oh and also....




So that's my month in new books  and things! How was your August?





2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with how much you read during your wedding month! I don't think I read much during mine at all! And yayyyyyy for finally meeting friends! <3 The DoBaS cover is gorgeous!! I need to read that series still.... oooh The Silver Bough is pretty! Haven't heard of it. Love the fairytale books. I really want to read Blythewood!!! Gothic and atmospheric are my faves. Air Awakens looks interesting! Darn you for adding so much to my TBR haha. KATE MORTON <3 Can't wait to hear your thoughts on all the Harper fantasy books. I didn't love Defiance either but oh my god I neeeeed The Shadow Queen! I want to read Flamecaster so much. Ahhh. Maybe I'll reread Seven Realms in the meantime. I haven't read much historical romance but Romancing the Duke is on my list! It sounds fun. LOOK AT YOUR POPS! AND YOUR STAMP!!!!! <3 So glad you had such a wonderful August! Mine felt busy for some reason but fun. Visited my sister in LA, went to Lake Tahoe, and read a few books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading as stress relief! I got waaay into some books and just ignored the world lol. And yesss Kate Morton! Let's reread Seven Realms! Let me know if you plan to!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.