The Book Sacrifice Tag

Sunday, April 2, 2017

the-book-sacrifice-tag
Helllllllo readers, today Dani and I are doing the Book Sacrifice Tag! Sounds a little bit aggressive, but it's all fun and games until someone slanders a favorite book.




 Let’s start this off with a Zombie Apocalypse! Let’s say you’re in a book store, just browsing, when BAM! ZOMBIE ATTACK. An announcement comes over the PA System saying that the military has discovered that the zombies’ only weakness is over-hyped books. What book that everyone else says is amazing but you really hated so you start chucking at the zombies knowing that it will count as an over-hyped book and successfully wipe them out?!


Dani: Oh we're starting off with a big f-you to all my friends. The first Raven Cycle book is ok. Blue's a fine character. There's a pretty neat twist with Noah. But it's not all that, guys, and the series quality dramatically falls off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  




Jessie: Okaaay here goes, since I have many to pick from on my 'overhyped' shelf: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. There's some very bad prose in this, the ship is iffy at best, and the plot is thin enough that it super does not need to be two books. I rated it 3 stars but it's so overhyped to me.

 Let’s say you’ve just left the salon with a SMASHING new haircut and BOOM: Torrential downpour. What sequel are you willing to use as an umbrella to protect yourself?


Dani: Again, I'm forced to preface this with the fact that I gave the first book 5 stars and the second book 4 stars. From my review of the trilogy closer:
There is actually a scene where the main character and the villain face off on a catwalk over a bunch of evil science equipment. Has the book been optioned, because I feel like this was written just for the dramatic trailer shot of Shailene Woodley hanging from the scaffolding, feet shrouded in factory fog, while the music crescendos. Otherwise, there is zero reason to include something straight out of a 1980s action movie or a Silver Age comic book.
Gtf out of here, Lark Ascending.



Jessie: I also have a shelf just for these books. My choice for this is gonna make my coblogger rage at me but: Deadline by Mira Grant. Guys, it took me months to read this. I can read books of this size in an afternoon. To say that Shaun's narration was a decline in quality from Georgia's is a massive understatement. Blah and boring. OH AND YES BECKS DESERVED SO MUCH BETTER.





Let’s say you’re in a lecture and your English teacher is going on and on about how this classic changed the world, how it revolutionized literature and you get so sick of it that you chuck the classic right at his face because you know what? This classic is stupid and it’s worth detention just to show everyone how you feel! What Classic did you chuck?




Jessie: Thomas Hardy's entire oeuvre but since I only get one, I shall focus my rage on the worst offender and my favorite to hate: Tess of the D'Urbervilles. This book is infuriating. I have made my hatred very vocal.


 My distaste is pure.

More?



Dani: Frankenstein. Fuck off Percy Bysshe Shelley, we all know you fucked this up for your wife. Never use one word when fifteen will do, my eye.

 Let’s say that you’re hanging out at the library when BAM! Global warming explodes and the world outside becomes a frozen wasteland. You’re trapped and your only chance for survival is to burn a book. What is the book you first run to, your least favourite book of all life, what book do you not fully regret lighting?



Dani: I'm never going to stop ranting about this blatant cash grab: a 202 page, $20 hardcover that only features 150 pages of actual writing, some with less than one line on a page. Besides being horribly organized, it's badly written and full of nasty deaths for fan favorites, like falling off a toilet in a drunken stupor. Seriously. Never has it been more obvious that an author was done with a series and her fans. It has 2 stars on AMAZON, for god's sake.




Jessie: If not Tess.... The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake is definitely up there; that book pissed me off and also made me ?  Or maybe Paullina Simon's boring, HUGE, AND problematic The Bronze Horseman? Any and/or all of them.






&




4 comments:

  1. hahahaha I love this one. Will definitely be adding this to my list of book tags to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani and I had a couple convos about how we were gonna lose all our friends so just PREPARE YOURSELF ;)

      Delete
    2. Look, it's a fact of bookish life. We don't talk about the Percy Jackson movies, we don't acknowledge Jo ending up with Bhaer, and for some reason Maggie is untouchable.

      Delete
    3. JO AND LAURIE FOREVER

      and foreverlol @ Percy Jackson movies

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.