The Intimidating TBR Book Tag

Wednesday, April 26, 2017



I found this tag on Pretty Deadly Reviews! So all kudos for the graphic goes to their hard work :)
For this tag, I am just going to use books that I own but have not yet read. Maybe it will motivate me?






What book on your TBR have you been unable to finish?



Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente. Valente is a very imaginative author and her books can be ambitious and strange; wholly original but hard to get into initially.I read about 130 pages of this, set it down... and wandered away.

What book on your TBR pile haven’t you read because…

You haven’t had the time:




Charles de Lint's Newford series starting with Dreams Underfoot. I have read two of them (#8 aka The Onion Girl and #11 aka Widdershins) but I own about 9 more that I just cannot seem to set aside the time to start the series.


You didn’t enjoy the author’s first book:

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. I was alternately bored or annoyed by The Orphan Queen and DNF'd The Mirror King in probably 50 pages. (I know the Newsoul trilogy was published first but I read her second series before her first so I say it applies.)

It’s a sequel:


Flesh and Blood by Kristen Painter. I technically am on book two in the House of Comarre but it's been probably 6 years since I read the first. So I really need to reread Blood Rights before starting the sequel.


It’s brand new:

City of Strife by Claudie Arsenault (City of Spires #1)


Isandor, City of Spires.

A hundred and thirty years have passed since Arathiel last set foot in his home city. Isandor hasn’t changed—bickering merchant families still vie for power through eccentric shows of wealth—but he has. His family is long dead, a magical trap has dulled his senses, and he returns seeking a sense of belonging now long lost.

Arathiel hides in the Lower City, piecing together a new life among in a shelter dedicated to the homeless and the poor, befriending an uncommon trio: the Shelter’s rageful owner, Larryn, his dark elven friend Hasryan, and Cal the cheese-loving halfling. When Hasryan is accused of Isandor's most infamous assassination of the last decade, what little peace Arathiel has managed to find for himself is shattered. Hasryan is innocent… he thinks. In order to save him, Arathiel may have to shatter the shreds of home he’d managed to build for himself.

Arathiel could appeal to the Dathirii—a noble elven family who knew him before he disappeared—but he would have to stop hiding, and they have battles of their own to fight. The idealistic Lord Dathirii is waging a battle of honour and justice against the cruel Myrian Empire, objecting to their slavery, their magics, and inhumane treatment of their apprentices. One he could win, if only he could convince Isandor’s rulers to stop courting Myrian’s favours for profit.

In the ripples that follow Diel’s opposition, friendships shatter and alliances crumble. Arathiel, the Dathirii, and everyone in Isandor fights to preserve their homes, even if the struggle changes them irrevocably.

City of Strife is the first installment of the City of Spires trilogy, a multi-layered political fantasy led by an all LGBTQIAP+ cast. Fans of complex storylines criss-crossing one another, elves and magic, and strong friendships and found families will find everything they need within these pages.



You just haven’t been in the mood:

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two. I have a loooot of complicated feelings about this playbookthingy. I both very much want to read it and I do not want to read it. I know what happens and I am sure one day I will actually read the words for myself, but it hasn't happened in the eight months so far that I've owned the hardback.

It’s humongous:



I want to read this but I am also scared it will fall on my face and break my glasses. It's 901 pages and those pages are hair-thin.


Because it was a cover buy but ended up receiving poor reviews:


I really love the cover for The Sin Eater's Daughter but hardly any of my favorites have rated this over 3-stars or even finished it.




#stillboughtittho

I will still probably try this because eveeeeryone hated Bright Smoke, Cold Fire and I super dug that one.



What is the most intimidating book on your TBR?



Melina Marchetta's debut novel Looking for Alibrandi. Not because it's huge -- it's not -- but because it's my last Marchetta and how can I break the glass?!






What are the most intimidating books on your to-be-read pile?





2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have so many options for each of these questions. lol Pride and Prejudice and The Fellowship of the Ring were two of my most intimidating and I've knocked them both out this year. *mild preening* Looking for Alibrandi is also on my list and I totally get what you mean about Valente. She can be something alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh nice! Good job! I will have to make you motivate me since you're doing much better than I am lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.