Top Ten Tuesday #13 - Top Ten Books I Wish Could Have Had Sequels

Tuesday, August 6, 2013




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish.




















This topic was surprisingly hard, and also reminded me how so few books published these days are standalones.


#1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling



Who knew seven books weren't enough? But as soon as I had finished the last book in JKR's series, I wanted/needed more. There's plenty of resolution to be had, but this world and these characters could always be explored more.

#2. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson




Sanderson is known for his series (Mistborn, ending The Wheel of Time, The Stormlight Archive) so I was surprised this novel hasn't received the sequel treatment. The "magic" created is interesting enough on its own to merit further novels.

#3. The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna



This book is beautiful. Mandanna writes so skillfully - I want more from her, and in this character's life.

#4. Chime by Franny Billingsley



THE WRITING. I love love loved the prose in Chime, and Briony was such a fantastically weird and complicated narrator. MOAR PLEASE.

#5. Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama



Too often mermaids are presented as just ornaments, but Fama makes hers more deadly and thus far more interesting. I would take anything with mermaids from her -- it doesn't even have to feature the characters from MB.

#6. Stardust by Neil Gaiman



There is explanation about what happens to Tristan and Yvaine after the book, but I want to see it firsthand! This is also the rare case where I love the movie more than the book, too. O_o Don't judge me!

#7. Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith



Part of my love for this novel is based on its very open-ended conclusion, but I'd love to see where Smith would go next with Kiri and Skunk.

#8. This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers



This is, hands down, the best zombie novel I have ever read. And though Summers leaves it open-ended as to Sloane's fate, I want more zombie novels from this author. Different characters would be fine, as long as they have that Summers' trademark complexity.

#9. The Piper's Son/Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta



I love that these books feature the same characters, and yet it's not enough. I've heard that there is a third book on the way (a Jimmy book!), but I could read about them forever.

#10. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta



I have a hard time letting go of Marchetta's characters, and none more so than Taylor and Jonah Griggs. I want a sequel focused solely on them, but only if they live happy, blissful, obstacle-free lives. Sure, it might not be the most interesting story arc, but I only want good things to happen to them.

6 comments:

  1. Woo Elantris was on my list too! I've actually read in Brandon's blog that he's got an Elantris sequel planned, but other projects are taking priority. So maybe one day! Stardust was also excellent and I've seen it on a few lists, making me wish I'd put it on mine! LOL.

    Jellicoe was phenomenal but I haven't read any of Marchetta's other works. Will have to check out the ones in #9.

    Great TTT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES to The Lost Girl, Chime (ELDRIC!!), Jellicoe Road, and This is Not a Test. Fabulous list, Jessie!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose Monstrous Beauty too lol
    Here is my TTT
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesday-books-you-wish-had.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter is on my list too! And I still haven't read anything by Brandon Sanderson, though I have many of his books on my to-read list and Mistborn on my shelf. Great list :)

    My TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know what you mean by Melina's books needing sequels! They end and I'm just left going "whaaaa?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I need more Harry Potter in my life too. A whole bunch of us are doing a re-read together in November and I can't freaking wait.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.