Late December Books!

Sunday, December 27, 2015
I surprisingly enough... did not get any books for Christmas for the first time in a looooong time. But I have plenty to read and the ones I did get in the last few weeks more than make up for that.

Sent/ARCs:

Harper had a drop and of course I went a little overboard but first I have to mention this gorgeousness that Pyr approved me for:

Masks and Shadows and Stephanie Burgis




The year is 1779, and Carlo Morelli, the most renowned castrato singer in Europe, has been invited as an honored guest to Eszterháza Palace. With Carlo in Prince Nikolaus Esterházy's carriage, ride a Prussian spy and one of the most notorious alchemists in the Habsburg Empire. Already at Eszterháza is Charlotte von Steinbeck, the very proper sister of Prince Nikolaus's mistress. Charlotte has retreated to the countryside to mourn her husband's death.

Now, she must overcome the ingrained rules of her society in order to uncover the dangerous secrets lurking within the palace's golden walls. Music, magic, and blackmail mingle in a plot to assassinate the Habsburg Emperor and Empress--a plot that can only be stopped if Carlo and Charlotte can see through the masks worn by everyone they meet.

That cover is flawless, that synopsis is promising, and I don't know how long I will be able to hold off reading this one.

Aaaand now the Harper eARCs I could not resist:




The Way Back to You by Michelle Andreani and Mindi Scott - contemporary YA with two best friends road tripping please tell me it turns into looooooove.

Ask Me How I Got Here  by Christine Heppermann - loved this author's feminsit fairytale poems so her novel about teen abortion, even though it's verse, is a must read.

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows - a fantastical retelling of the life of Jane Grey? Even if the authors veer off course of history, I am so there.

Ruined by Amy Tintera (Untitled #1) - a fantasy series from this author! I loved her debut so I am betting on that. The premise sounds somewhat generic but we shall see.

The Last Time We Were Us by Leah Konen - this is a bit iffy -- sounds very romance and love triangle heavy - but I am willing to give it at least a try.

Frannie & Tru by Karen Hattrup - not too sure what to expect from this YA contemporary but the early reviews are promising.

Even if the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia - another YA contemporary romance but this one sounded promising enough and is a debut with a 24-hour romance.

Night Speed by Chris Howard - I haven't heard too much about this or the author but I love books about superhuman strength.



Liars and Losers Like Us by Ami Allen-Vath - a debut novel that looks like it might be funny and edgy enough to stand out. Also but possible it's a POC MC? I'm hoping so, from that cover.

Spark by Holly Schindler - another I'm not 100% sure is a me book but one that sounds interesting enough to at least try a chapter or two. This reminded me of Lisa Mantchev's Theatre Illuminata trilogy from the synopsis.

Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman - I loved Prisoner of Night and Fog quuuite a lot this author plus Charles II and Milton and wayward daughters = 100% here for it.

Autofocus by Lauren Gibaldi - Gibaldi's debut this year was fun but flawed and this seems like a more engaging story. I wasn't a huge fan but I liked TNWSY enough to keep trying at least one more novel.

Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes - I really loved Stokes other contemporary The Art of Laine so you know that this release is highly anticipated and I am thriiiiiillllled to read this. It'll jump the revew queue.

Wanderlost by Jen Malone - Sisters, abroad, roadtripping, possible and probably meet cute? It sounds like a Stephanie Perkins kinda contemporary and though I usually go for the darker sort, this sounds like a great fun read.

The Marked Girl by Lindsay Klingele - portal fantasy! I have not read a portal fantasy in a long time and this one connects LA with fantasy princes. I'm not sure if it's more of a thriller or a fantasy but I am pretty excited to find out by June.

aaaaaand

This. Savage. Song. by Victoria Schwaaaaab (Monsters of Verity #1) - do I even need to talk about how excited I am to get an ARC of a Schwab novel? And THIS novel? I may be reading it right now. Who knows.


Gifted/Won:

Funnily enough all the things in this section are from Bekka of Pretty Deadly Reviews, lol.


Gifted: The Opal Crown by Jenny Lunquist (The Opal Mask #2) and Ghost from Game of Throoooones! Bekka gave me the series debut last year so it's lovely of her to finish the series.
Won: The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson - I have been hearing buzz from trusted sources and the synopsis is admittedly Jessiebait. So here's hoping it's as good as promised.


Bought:


Behind the Scenes by Dahlia Adler (Daylight Falls #1) -- signed, personalized, kissed! I am beyond excited to a. have a matching set and b. finally start this series!

Princesses Behaving Badly: Real Stories From History Without the Fairy Tale Endings by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie = fascinating stories of women from history (aaaand one or two from legend/myth) but v v good.

Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid -- Reidd's other two novels fast became favorites this year and though her debut was not on the level of Maybe in Another Life or After I Do, it was still an emotional, thoughtful, different book.


That's it for me! Any new reads you're excited about for 2016??

 

4 comments:

  1. Even If The Sky Falls looks sooo good! Enjoy them xoxo
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I didn't get any books this year either!!!! My family is on to me... I did get some gift cards though :) Masks and Shadows looks/sounds so cool! I'll be eager to hear your thoughts. My Lady Jaaaane! Excited about this one. I'm interested in Ruined but it does sound a bit generic like you said. Might be a library book for me. Very intrigued by The Marked Girl and Traitor Angels. I loved Lainey too, hope I like Girl Against the Universe when it comes out!! Omg The Opal Crown! I forgot that I read the first book, it was pretty good! Super excellent haul Jessie, good thing you read so fast ;) Hehe. I only have a few 2016 arcs but I'm hoping to read them soon (Passenger and Bookishly Ever After). And I need to buy Knight of the Seven Kingdoms with my gift card!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passenger!! I am going to be waaaiting for your review on that one. I've seen friends' reactions that are all over the scale so I can't decide if it's worth a try or not.

      And YESSSS! KOTSK was a good return to Westeros.... if only book five was in this haul....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.